It's hard to believe that the first day of October is upon us... It seems like it's only June, with the whole summer in front of us, but I have a feeling the holidays will be here before we know it. With the prediction of 50 inches of snow in the Mid-Atlantic area this Winter, I look forward to making more soups and stews, that are hearty and filling. There's something about a nice, filling soup that warms the soul. I came across this one on the Purely Elizabeth blog (if you haven't tried her boxed cookie and pancakes mixes, I highly recommend - no hydrogenated oils, no GMO, no refined sugars) while perusing Facebook one afternoon. It's thick, like a stew, full of flavor and perfect for a Meatless Monday meal! (It also reheats nicely)
Sweet Potato Red Lentil Coconut Curry Soup
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 can of light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup red lentils
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp of olive oil and roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot, sauté the ginger, onion, garlic in oil until softened.
- Add all the other ingredients, simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or so.
- Add roasted sweet potatoes and continue to simmer for 10- 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender (or food processor) to blend into smooth or desired consistency.