Sounds like an oxymoron, but I promise you, it's creamy, delicious and yes... even healthy! And, just in time for the weekend. Happy Friday everyone! The ingredients also sounds a little, um, abnormal for dessert, and trust me when I tell you that I had the same reaction to the odd list. But once I got over the foods not usually seen in desserts and just tried it, I really enjoyed it and have made it a few times now. The secret ingredient is... ready? Avocado! It sounds odd and the combination of the green with the chocolate-brown sounds a bit strange, but mark my words, if you like chocolate mousse, you will LOVE this recipe!
[gallery type="circle" columns="2" ids="4404,4403"]
The avocado provides good fat and sets up a creamy consistency. The mild flavor of the avocado is masked by the other ingredients. All you will taste is the delicious chocolate!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 tablespoons agave or honey
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used raw cacao powder)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Small pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons almond, soy or regular milk
- 1 cup washed raspberries or strawberries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of almond or peanut butter (optional)
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop out the green flesh and put into a blender or food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients (other than the berries) and combine. I recommend adding a tablespoon of sweetener at a time, as you can always add more but can't take it out if it's too sweet for your liking.
- Scoop into a bowl and chill until you are ready to serve. You can eat it immediately (or taste a spoonful or two) but it thickens as it sits in the refrigerator, which gives it a thick, mousse-like texture.
- Top with berries before eating or drudge strawberries through the mousse and enjoy!