I really wanted to do a yoga class yesterday, but I knew that I hadn't gone for a run in a few days. So, I compromised and did both. Here is a super quick workout that's perfect when you only have 15-20 minutes.
- Grab a treadmill
- Walk at a comfortable pace for 1-minute to warm-up your legs.
- Jog for 2-minutes at a pace where you can comfortably hold a conversation
- Run for 1-minute. Crank up the speed to a point where you can keep up, but are working hard.
- Repeat 4-5 time, depending on the amount of time you have available.
- Cool down by walking at the comfortable pace at which you started your warm-up for 3 minutes. I added a steep incline here to stretch out and strengthen my hips and glutes.
I did this before the yoga class yesterday and felt satisfied that I got in good, heart pounding workout and was also able to get my Zen on in the yoga class. Om.
For me, I jogged at a 5.0 for 2-minutes on the treadmill and ran at an 8.0 for 1-minute (which is a 7:30 pace on my treadmill). All machines are different, but there should be a noticeable difference in the speeds. If you aren't comfortable with running, you can use the same time frames to walk. Walk at a comfortable, but not slow, pace for 2-minutes and then power walk for 1-minute, repeating the sequence 4-5 times. You can also do this outside, but the treadmill is a good indicator of actual speed.
Why is this beneficial? During the short workout session, you are using two of the most effective methods of fat burning. Using intense bursts of maximum effort exercise coupled with maximum oxygen used in a quick burst of exercise creates an "afterburn" effect during which time your body can burn more calories for up to 48 hours after the conclusion of your workout.
Short amount of time AND maximum fat burning benefits... No excuses! Happy Friday and have a great weekend!