My favorite element of being at the beach is the time spent with family. Yesterday was we went to the beach, hung by the pool and laughed together over meals, which we all ate together. It's nice to come together around the table to refuel, laugh and just talk.
Our first night, we made my sister's recipe for salmon, my recipe for sweet potatoes and a huge green salad. Last night was a taco bar, where we filled our taco shells and tortillas with either ground turkey or black beans and topped with the usual lettuce, salsa and cheese. But last night's salsa was homemade by my cousin, Sara, and it was delicious. I asked her to share her recipe and she agreed. It was super easy to make and everyone, even the kids, enjoyed it as an appetizer with blue corn chips as well as on top of the tacos.
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 2 cans of organic black beans (drained)
- 1 can or corn (drained)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- drizzle of apple cider vinegar
- sprinkle of sugar, salt and pepper
- drizzle of olive oil
- feta cheese (optional)
- Cut up the peppers and 1/2 onion; add to a bowl
- Drain the corn and beans; add to the bowl.
- Let this sit for a few hours in the refrigerator to let the flavors marinade.
- Right before serving, add the apple cider vinegar, sugar, olive oil and, if using, the feta.
- Stir and enjoy!