When I hear the word "crockpot," I think of my mother and my grandmother. What was once a staple in my busy mom's kitchen is making a resurgence in the kitchens of new mom's and busy women who want to eat healthy, easily prepared foods. The kitchen item is popular for two reasons -- first, it takes absolutely no cooking skill to use and two, it's virtually hands-off cooking, which affords women time to do other things without standing over an oven or, even, being in the house at all.
Before deciding on my Hamilton Beach crockpot, I did some research to narrow down the selection and decide what elements were important to me. On Amazon, they range in price from $12-$140, with a variety of bells and whistles, such as a timer, size, meat probe and vegetable steamer. For me, the timer function was important, because I wanted the option of setting it and not having to be home when the meal was finished. Once the cooking is complete, the pot switches into "warming" mode, keeping the food, well, warm, until I get home.
Yesterday, I was on Fox45 for a cooking segment using the crockpot in a variety of ways. Watch the video and find the tailgate recipe below. The dessert, an apple cobbler, turned out well, but I want to try it again to see if I can add more of a crust to the dish. Stay tuned for that recipe!
Pulled BBQ Chicken Sliders
Active time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
Servings: 12 silders
- 8-ounce tomato sauce
- 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine.
- Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 3 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve
To serve, fill the slider rolls with the BBQ chicken and offer additional toppings, such as sliced jalapenos or red onion.