Here at Genuine Joy, we are all about wholistic wellness -- mental, emotional, physical. Eating well, moving your body and being flexible in your approach so you can bend and go with the flow, without breaking. But, when it comes to somethings, we are a big believer in structure, order and schedule, and such is true for check-ups, yearly physicals and seeing a doctor in both proactive and reactive times.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and we have partnered with Saint Agnes Hospital to encourage all women to take charge of your health and have a mammogram every year. Oh, and there's an EXCITING giveaway at the end of this post!
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, this October, Saint Agnes Hospital is launching a breast cancer awareness campaign called “What’s Your Month”, to encourage women to get their yearly mammograms. Every woman 40+ should have a month in which they schedule their annual mammogram. This campaign will encourage women 40+ to proudly own their month and encourage other women to schedule their mammograms and identify their month as well. Saint Agnes believes Breast Cancer Awareness expands beyond October and is committed to engaging women throughout the year, serving as a reminder of how important an annual mammogram is to your good health.
Let's take a look at some of the stats // did you know?
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime yet only 50% of women age 40+ are getting mammograms.
- African American women have a higher incidence rate of breast cancer before age 40
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the U.S., accounting for almost 30% of newly diagnosed cancers
Take control // What can you do?
- Age 20-34: administer breast self-examination monthly; get physical examination of the breast by trained professional every 3 years
- Age 35-39: administer breast self-examination monthly; get physical examination of the breast by trained professional every 3 years; get baseline mammogram for reference.
- Age 40+: administer breast self-examination monthly; get physical examination of the breast by trained professional yearly; get mammogram yearly
The reality is this: there is no way to prevent breast cancer. But through regular mammograms and at-home self-exams it can be caught early, which is a woman’s best chance for survival. “What’s Your Month” will encourage women to take control of their breast health and know their status.
In an effort to encourage ALL women to choose a month and get a yearly mammogram, Saint Agnes is giving one lucky reader a Vitamix! Here's how you enter:
- Watch the video below
- Choose your month and name it in the comments
- Tweet about the campaign using the hashtag #whatsyourmonth
- Additional entries if you share on social media -- facebook, twitter, instagram. Don't forget to tag me and #whatsyourmonth on all posts.
This post and giveaway are sponsored by Saint Agnes, but all opinions expressed here are my own.
*Photo via Death to the Stock Photo