By Whitney Phelps Flickinger, Kid Contributor
My posts are typically about things I do with the kids, but this is a little different. I am not sure where everyone lives, but on the northern east coast it is FREEZING! I am a big advocate on working out and I love/prefer to run outside. Recently with the temps below the teens and if you factor the wind into it, temps dip into the negative numbers. I am not going outside. I would rather sleep in, sit on the couch with my kids, play games, etc.
When I run, it is in the morning and I hit the road at 4 AM. Even throughout the winter I will run outside. Staring at a wall, on the treadmill is like a slow painful death for me. Over the years I have learned how to layer up and even this year bought a mask to cover my head, mouth and nose. If you are a runner and you run outside in the winter, buy one! It is a great investment. Recently with the winds howling and the temps being at an unbearable low, I just cannot peel myself out of bed to hit the road. To save my kids, family, friends and coworkers from the MONSTER I turn into if I don’t workout, I have found some alternatives.
- Climb the stairs at work. Every hour on the hour.
- Pop in a workout DVD. I do Insanity
- Do a different type of workout on the treadmill. 10 minutes of warm-up, 10 minutes of sprints (30 sec off/30 sec on), 10 minutes warm down. 30 minutes I can tolerate
- Do sit-ups, squats, lunges, pushups during every commercial break.
- If you belong to a gym or have one at work, change up your routine. Do more interval work or weights mixed with plyometrics to shock your body.
- My kids have a mini trampoline and I use it to my advantage! I do jumps, jumping jacks and twists during commercial breaks
If I am at home and doing some of the things mentioned above I try to get the kids involved. They are also used to running around outside and burning off that extra energy. We will clump three things together and rotate every 30 seconds to a minute. It is a way for us all to move together and stay active!
These are a few things that have helped me get my exercise in. If you have any suggestions or little tricks that you have, please feel free to share!
photo // death to the stock photo