On Saturday, I joined a handful of Media Mavens for a brunch held at the Tyson's Corner Neiman Marcus store, just outside of Washington, DC. During the brunch, we were shown what the store would carry for Fall, as well as the debut of a few items exclusive to their stores. There were eight Mavens at the brunch, and were invited to enter the store before it's scheduled 10am opening. I was met at the entrance and escorted to the room, in which the breakfast was to be held, making the event feel uber luxurious and exclusive. The items ranged from beauty to shoes, clothes to housewares and ended with jewelry and furs. Whilst sipping coffee, I dutifully took notes to capture all of the little details, to which I bring directly to you. So, grab your coffee and let's take a look at the Fashions for the Fall.
Snapshot and tips:
- Color: deep red, bordeaux, jade, teal, royal blue, sapphire, winter white and marigold
- Lady Chic: wear an ensemble, a dress with a coat, a long-sleeved sheath dress, fluidity in dress with a nod to the 70's, boxy jackets with cigarette pants, wide leg trousers and velvet
- Shoes: knee-high boots are here to stay, but booties are front and center, pumps in a T-strap, and a single sole pump in lieu of the platform (although platforms are still on the radar for Fall)
- Bags: hand-held bags, use tips from the runways (check out www.style.com for full runway shows and photos) and mimic the ways in which they carry bags, whether it be a shoulder bag or hand-held.
- Embellishment: Neiman Marcus Fashion Director Ken Downing says "More is more and less is a bore" so layer necklaces, add bracelets and stack the rings. Sparkle is always chic, but this fall look for large sequins.
- Fur & leather: Both are strong this season, but let's be honest, do either really ever go out of fashion? Fur and leather are statement pieces, a standalone item or as an added touch on a shoe (fur), jacket or a dress. Fur is seen in a vest, a chubby jacket or a full length coat. Leather as outerwear or as a separate, such as a skirt, were seen in colors other than black.
- Colorblocking: The popularity of this trend from this spring carries it into the fall. Not sure how to wear it? The colors you think don't quite go together are the ones that actually do! You can wear the look in a bold way, as a bright pink shirt with a royal blue skirt, or something more toned down as in a green shirt and jeans, with a bright orange handbag. Some single pieces contain colorblocking, making it uber easy for the wearer.
Stay tuned, as there is still more to come!